Friday 2 January 2015

Searching for Ideas

Intro


Last year, a group of of fellow Wattpad authors and I wrote some helpful articles for a magazine called Heroes Insider Weekly by WPAvengers.
There is some great information in the magazine for writers. You can check it out here. I think most of us became to busy to keep posting. But there is still a fair few chapters to take a squiz at.

I've decided to post my contribution here for other aspiring authors to find.

I spend my writing time thinking about what else I should be doing, checking links to see if anything has sold, liked or commented and voted on. And yes. I Google myself.
Some of the time I surf the web looking for great sites to improve my writing or just plain old research which has given me an extensive list of great websites that have helped me become a better writer, or I hope so.

I'll be posting them up week by week. If you find the information useful you can follow me on Facebook, Twitter, or this blog for updates. I've also created a board for these links on Pinterest for fast links.

Searching for Ideas


I've come across a few sites that are good for producing ideas like plot, characters and setting. There is so many so I'm just going to list my favourites here and tell you a bit about them.

First, the plot.


Where do you start? I start with any idea pulled out of my strange existence and start writing. But what happens if you can't think of something to get started on or you become stuck halfway through and need a little bit more inspiration.

There is a few sites I’ve found that generate ideas for you. The few that seem to make some sense when generated are http://www.springhole.net/ and http://www.seventhsanctum.com
Both use a formula to create a plot idea. Springhole has more generators which lead on to character descriptions and their backgrounds, world building, names, other creature characters, items, outfits, location, settings and many more explorable categories.
Even if you have you're own ideas. These sites are still fun to look through and play with. After a few tries you can see the pattern the generator uses. If you can't find one suitable to your writing. Why not try to make your own with their formula.

Another way gain access to ideas or where to look for them is the Writers Digest site. There is currently a promotion going for their newsletter. If you sign up, you receive a free copy of Writers Prompt Boot Camp. I don't recommend signing up with an email you don't want to be spammed. Writers Digest send sometimes 3 e-mails a day! But, some of those newsletters are interesting to read and the site can help with other writing related help. There are many free and paid books available for download or if you prefer paperback, them too!

Characters


Generators can be used with characters as I mentioned above. But I like to write down a little bit more about my creations, not just hair colour, age and height.
Character sheets are good for these. I've filled out a few and here are the links some good ones out there.

Like to print out sheets and write down who your character is? I know I do! I print these out and place them all into books or up on the wall for later reference. Yes, I find myself saying, crap. What was her name again? Simple, I should know them! But I don't.

This site I found is great for building characters. Design your characters through a huge list of questions and also find links to a massive amount of information on how to build your characters and make them realistic to your story line. There is even links to help name them through baby naming sites and others. I could go on! There is so many great links within this site.

Setting and descriptions.


I love creation software. I'm not going to give you the names of my favourite software for drawing up things because it cost way too much. There are great sites and free software out there that will do the same job.

To get a visual on things I design my own maps, buildings and worlds. Here are a few great sites for doing these.

This site is another random generator and worth a look. Not only for setting ideas. But plot too. It attracted me to the site while writing my own science fiction story. This site helped me design a planet. It can be much more than that. There is even a dungeon and inn generator for those fantasy stories and also full star systems. It not high tech, some are just descriptions, but we writers can deal with that =D

Best free program I found for drawing maps is AutoRealm
The download can be found at http://sourceforge.net/projects/autorealm/
Its pretty simple to use. If you can use paint, you can use this program. It had a great range of pens and objects to insert into the drawing.
All most anything you want in a story can be found within the program and it draws all kind of maps from bedrooms to countries. The maps can be basic drawings to the real map drawings with the contour lines and everything. Hours of fun to be had!
Using this program, you'll have your own Game of Thrones map in no time!

Prefer to draw up you one with a pencil? Gimp is another program that can take your artwork and create a digital image. Its not so user friendly as paint, and the first time I used it I couldn't even work out how to draw a line. There are many tutorials online to help out with anything you might have in mind.
If you use Photoshop, it's a great free alternative, and once mastered it can create some spectacular images.

Another favourite site to use is Google Earth. It provides real maps that you can print off and draw over if you have the ink and paper. The downloadable program even allows you to draw and make notes on the satellite images. So if you have a story in this world during this time. Look into that one!

That is for this week. Next time I'm moving on to some awesome sites to write with!




No comments:

Post a Comment