Monday 8 July 2013

Five books

Checking my letter box everyday waiting for my first book to come in and every day, letters for other people no tags for me or no mail at all. It usually takes ten days for mail from the US to come. It had hit 14 days and I was a little antsy. Where is my tag! No, I won't go into town and ask the post office if they have forgotten to send one out.
Worried, I walked to the house. There on the table sat a few letters. Some even a little wet from the rain the day before. Not today’s mail. Keep walking. But something caught my eye. A square red tag with my name on it! How long has this been here! Two days! I race into down and pick up my brand new first printed books!
Not many people knew I was writing a book. I hid away in my cave, writing, editing, blogging, editing some more. It was time to tell people, but not right then.
I'm going into town, do you need anything?
What are you going into town for?
To pick up my books!
Oh Gawd, she's bought some more books off eBay. Hasn't she got enough! Was the look I received.
I came back from town with my five brand new, first printed books in a box and walked up to my father and uncle. Handed them both a book each and told them the news. First reaction from my uncle was. Really! From the father... Flipped through every page. No she didn't, her names not on here... It is, but a little jumbled and a few letters missing. But still from him. No it's not yours. Your name isn't in here anywhere!
I pack my books in their box. But one is missing. I look around, no spare book anywhere. My uncle returns, no book in his hand either. He had stolen on and stuck it in his ute with the statement, I'm going home early tonight, I've got a book to read!

Other reactions have been people wanting a copy. Congratulations and out right shock and hugs. Like my mother screaming WHAT HAVE YOU DONE! Over and over again. You can't sign other people’s books! You’re right. I can't but I can now sign my own!

Overall, pretty good reaction out of people. Most I won't get to show or tell myself now. The family wants the bragging rights more than me. Still liked my Nanna's comment to my mother. Where do your children get their talent from, surely not from you! That's even funnier in an Irish accent! Reaction to that was worthy to get a mention, though it was only hands on her hips and dagger stares...

Out of the five books.... I now have zero! All been stolen. People are asking what I'm going to do next. Well, I have a part two to write (Which has 20'000 words so far) and a few query letters to be sent out. Give me about three months to decide from there. 


More books are coming next week. If I can get to the mail before someone else hides the tag on me.

2 comments:

  1. Did nanna really say that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No... She's a lovely old lady. She wouldn't tease anyone!

      Delete